What should I do immediately after the shaking stops?
First take care of your own situation. Remember your emergency plans. Aftershocks may cause additional damage or items to fall, so get to a safe location. Take your disaster supplies kit.
you are safe, help others and check for damage. Protect yourself by
wearing sturdy shoes and work gloves, to avoid injury from broken glass
and debris. Also wear a dust mask and eye protection.
Check for injuries and damage
At link to Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country
When safe, continue to follow your disaster plan
A link to Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country
Ready to Ride It Out (PDF)
A PDF brochure with instructions and lists for what to do before, during and after an earthquake.
LAFD Earthquake Handbook
- Instructions and tips for communicating with loved ones after an earthquake (go to page 9).
- Explanation of likely effects of an earthquake on adults and the solutions (go to page 25).
- Explanation of likely effects of an earthquake on children and the solutions (go to page 24).
- Detailed explanation of food storage and preparation as well as instructions for cooking the food after an earthquake (go to pages 15-17).
- Planning to have drinking water and finding drinking water once the earthquake has happened. Includes instructions for purification (go to pages 10-11).
- Preparation and execution of emergency lighting if power should fail (go to page 15).
- OH Community
- Web Apps
- About Us